Once you do quit have a big party. Celebrate what you have done. Give this as a benefit to yourself. Enjoy the party. Do you know when to have another party? After 24 hours. Do you know why?
1. With 20 minutes your body starts healing itself.
2. Within 8 hours your blood increases its level of Oxygen
3. Within 8 hours your heart attack risk falls
4. Within 10 hours your Carbon Monoxide levels fall and Oxygen is going to your limbs and organs
5. After 24 hours your ability to exercise improves.
6. Within 48 hours your senses improve and your taste increases and as your life without a cigarette increase your senses become fine-tuned and your experience an odd reality…a new world with new smells and tastes.
Research has shown that cravings really only last for 30 seconds- 60 seconds MAX…that’s it. If you can get past that 30 second rule, then you are OK. If it lasts longer than 30 seconds then something is going on…there is a possibility that you are actually making that craving last longer. You might not believe in your quitting reasons on a subconscious level- did you really believe them, did you really keep a check on them? There is a possibility that you may plan to fail by putting yourself into a situation where you are guaranteed to find the smoking triggers.
Find something to do within those 30 seconds- occupy yourself, do a chore, do something, pass those 30 seconds!Addictions make us do some dumb stuff, ask any addict and they will agree because the drug power is strong. Your body wants it for a high, and subliminally it is telling you that.
1. One of the good urge busters is to buy a 3 handed watch- one that has a second hand counting up the seconds. Look at that for about 30 seconds- you are preoccupied with it and then the craving will go. Also get out your reasons for quitting and read them through, read deeply- think yourself doing it, imagine yourself doing it.
2. Count. Say things like “healthy heart, heath mind, health blood…” Click your fingers to the time and get active with it.
3. Stay focused on what made you smoke and try to destroy or at least change the associations. If you drove to work and found the commute boring, try taking the bus or getting a non-smoker to take you. Smokers have associations with a cigarette and finding those (through your journal) helps to break the habit even more so.
4. Those who can, do some push ups. It was found that a quick burst of energy (5 minutes) actually stove off the cravings, longer bursts of energy were not worth while.
5. Drink water. It was found that water reduced some of the withdrawal symptoms because they were associated with dehydration (coffee and alcohol dehydrate the body and can cause similar types of withdrawal symptoms). 8 glasses of water a day are not needed, it depends on the person. When you are thirsty drink some water. If your mouth is very dry then you have gone past thirst.
6. There are some essential oils from Aromatherapies which can reduce anxiety, tension and sickness. You local health shop should point you in the right direction, but you are looking at aromas of the following: peppermint, lavender, sandalwood and ginger.
7. Brush your teeth after each meal. This reduces cravings, gives you something to do with your hands, helps with the oral fixation and gives you fresh breath with actually subconsciously “picks you up” and you aren’t worried about your breath or teeth.
8. Stress from work is an issue and it is mainly because we are disorganised or say YES to everything. Plan your day more, organize events and your day in advance- like 1 -2 days before hand. Keep a pad and pen handy so when someone says something important you aren’t stressing out trying to remember it.
9. Insomnia is a common complaint for newly non-smokers, which is odd because nicotine is a stimulant rather than a relaxant. But many smokers have coffee (stimulant) or beer, or do mental tasks before they sleep or be in a stimulant frame of mind which keeps the mind busy. Relax with a good non-fiction book while in a warm bath. Drink some warm milk and even have a massage. Each one brings that stress and stimulus level down.
10. Visit a Licensed Hypnotherapist. What they do is to reprogram the subconscious mind into telling it that you are now a non-smoker. And therefore a non-smoker now doesn’t crave cigarettes and one that can sleep better. Hypnosis has a 66% success rate, so it is worth looking at.
11. Damage to your immunity is second to that of Chemotherapy. It takes a bashing. So we need to get it back on track (first by not smoking) to help you combat colds and to cleanse our body naturally. Yogurts, mushrooms, onions, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, turkey and squash have been demonstrated to boost nutrients that help our immunity. Also if you note, the food listed are very low in fat, if fatty at all. Also, laughing helps build immunity. Laughing actually releases good chemicals into the system which rebuild certain body systems- the immune system being one of them. It also gives off a feeling of well being.
12. East something dairy (if you can). Smokers have found that dairy products have made cigarettes taste much worse. In fact there are a whole range of foods which made cigarettes taste bad. These can range from apples, Tofu, cucumbers orange juice and even water. But some taste bad to some smokers some don’t. What is your smoking repellent food?
13. Also remember that you are a role model to others. Even though you may not think so, others will see what you have done and will want to follow suit. As we have said before, we sometimes hear about people who have quit but we rarely see them. Children see that there is hope and in a society when underachievers usually have low self esteem smoking is sometimes an “escape plan” where they can be with a social group and feel something. They do not see the pitfalls or even the people who have beaten the system, who have beaten the drug and done wonders with it. See if you can join a non-smoking organization and talk about your ups and downs throughout your smoking time. It may sound fantastical and you may think that they might not want you, but on the other hand, more than likely they do.
14. Building failsafe plans have been the successful business go-to for years. They know what to do if something goes wrong and they know what to do when everything works well. Now you are not building a plan to fail, far be it, what you are actually planning is something to get you out of a pickle because with all the best plans in the world, they always need to be tweaked because something occurs that just wasn’t thought of.
If you can get someone else to sign onto the plan as well then great. If you have a mentor, a fellow smoker or even a family member, sometimes a trouble shared is a trouble halved. And it is true. You can feel alone sometimes and other people just don’t know what you are planning or wanting to go through. Finding someone to help you when you feel low or be that rock when you need it most is the most rewarding thing you can find. And do you know what? Sometimes people who have their partners as that rock have deeper relationships because troubles are shared.
Strangely enough when you do tell people they will be very supportive and even be very happy for you. The more people you tell the more happy they will be for you and that positive support will give you extra motivation. They will ask about you they will be caring about you and they will be supportive for you. But don’t be put into the situation where pressure of people can become crushing and then you fear their disappointment. Some people therefore only tell immediate family members so that the group can help as the group is more likely to understand what you are going through and some of the factors which made you smoke in the first place.1. Its Difficult To Quit Smoking7. So Far...The Best Treatment Methods Around
The medical information on the ldfootcare.com web site is provided as an information resource only, and is not to be used or relied on for any diagnostic or treatment purposes. This information is not intended to be patient education, does not create any patient-physician relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment.
Copyright. LDFootcare 2018.